The volcano represents the fact that both checking and exploration are part of the activity we call software testing.
- The shape of the Test Automation Pyramid refers to healthy test ratios and relative importance. The “volcano ash” cloud follows that pattern:
- It is on the top, as these tests are typically relevant to the end user, can be relatively complex and costly.
- In my opinion they are key to achieving customer satisfaction, so the cloud is large.
- Using tools is not limited to automation. Manual testing should be supported by tools when necessary.
- “Checking” can be both manual and automated.
Send me your thoughts.
- Layers of Test Automation – mentions the trapezoidal pyramid!
- Introducing the software testing ice-cream cone (anti-pattern) – hilarious and a bit sad at the same time, when you think your QA team may be actually in that position.